Bio 315 week 2 Individual Assignment: Environment, Resources, and Competition
Resources: University of Phoenix Materials:Temperature and Precipitation, Intraspecific Competition, and Interspecific Competition located on your student website
Imagine you are an ecologist studying ecosystems. In this assignment, you are given three separate sets of data to study. *Note: You do not have to relate the information in the three sets of data to one another.
Review the Temperature and Precipitation data, Intraspecific Competition data, and Interspecific Competition data located on your student website.
Analyze the data provided in each graph.
Relate your analysis to information available in the scientific literature where ever literature research is applicable.
Environment, Resources, and Competition Report
Write a 700- to 1,400-word report that answers ALL of the questions below.
For the Temperature and Precipitation Graph
· Review the temperature and precipitation data. How does the combination of temperature variation and precipitation levels determine the biotic characteristics of the biomes?
· Choose one of the biomes. What are the major abiotic characteristics of the biome?
· How do these characteristics affect the animals, plants, and their resources living in the environment?
· Where in the world does this biome occur? What is special about the location(s) of this biome, on the planet, that causes it to have these temperature and precipitation patterns
For the Intraspecific Competition Graph
Note: This graph presents information on predator-prey interactions. It also provides information, indirectly, about intraspecific competition.
· Review the Intraspecific Competition data. How is the predator community affected by low numbers of prey?
· How do high numbers of predators affect the prey community?
· What is intraspecific competition? What inferences can be drawn about the importance of intraspecific competition in the predator-prey oscillations?
· What are some possible effects on other species in the ecological community?
For the Interspecific Competition Graph
Note: This graph focuses on the success of kittens based on the age of the mother cats. Some inferences can be made about interspecific competition although the data don’t bear on this concept directly.
· Review the Interspecific Competition data, what behavioral data might be inferred from this graph?
· What factors might be responsible for the success of the older mothers’ offspring? Propose a scenario that might explain the data recorded.
· What is interspecific competition. How might interspecific competition affect reproductive success of cats?
· What implications can you infer from the three graphs about the relationship between plants and animals?
Include data in the graphs to support your answers.
Be sure to relate your analyses to information in the scientific literature.
Cite literature completely. This means providing in-text citation where you use that information and a complete list of references at the end of your paper.
Formatyour paper consistent with APA guidelines.